[Samba] Failure attempting to demote a DC.

Zombie Ryushu zombie_ryushu at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 20:11:08 UTC 2022

On 6/5/22 15:48, Norbert Hanke via samba wrote:
> Did replication between this DC and the other DCs in the domain work
> before, and are they online at this moment?
>
> While being demoted a DC asks its sync partners to do a last
> synchronization.
>
> On 03.06.2022 03:39, Zombie Ryushu via samba wrote:
>> ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DsReplicaSync failed -
>> drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (8440, 'WERR_DS_DRA_BAD_NC')
>>  File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line
>> 570, in run
>>    drs_utils.sendDsReplicaSync(server_bind, server_bind_handle,
>> source_dsa_guid, NC, req_options)
>>  File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line
>> 92, in sendDsReplicaSync
>>    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)
>>
>> This happens when I try to demote a DC Normally.

I believe that it does. But using the "Visualization tools" I've seen
some evidence something is wrong with replication due to the Green Zero
becoming a Red Dash. on Olympia. (The name of the node in question.)

To try to correct this, I've removed the DC by force, using the remove
dead DC command from its peer DC kefka.pukey, then deleted all
/var/lib/samba/private LDB and TDB Files, then  rejoined to the exact
same results.