[Samba] Restoring Samba databases from /var/lib/samba

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Thu Jun 2 14:58:07 UTC 2022

On 6/1/22 5:54 PM, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:
> To start with the end, until today I never realised that there are
> specific procedures for backing up Samba AD databases - which is my bad.
> I've always backed up /var/lib/samba and /var/cache/samba, seeing as
> that's where Samba kept its stuff. Today I've accidentally deleted
> /var/lib/samba, and tried to copy it back from the nightly backups.
> Needless to say that it all went to pots, and dns is not working
> properly any more, not matter what I try. I can provide more details and
> logs, but first I wanted to ask if it is even worth the effort? Is my
> backup of /var/lib/samba basically useless to restore things to where
> they were before?

I have never had a problem moving Samba DCs from one node to another,
with file copying, without using Samba backup features or demoting and
adding a new DC. I run them as containers, so all the state in
/var/lib/samba is properly isolated from the rest of the system.

What you must take into account is:

1) Backup ACLs and entire list of Extended Attributes, specially the
Samba specific ones (this is for SYSVOL permissions)

2) Use a filesystem snapshot so the state is backed up intact, If the Dc
is running at the time of the backup it will be restored as a crashed
instance. You can stop, make the snapshot start inmediatly and then make
the backup of the snapshot.

3) Or you can stop it and make a backup without a snaphot and later
start it.

So your problem maybe complex because you may have database
inconsistencies caused by how the backup was made lik,e files being
modified while being bnacked up.