[Samba] Migration 3.5 to 4.x, realm identical to domain

Philippe Maladjian pmaladjian at hilaire.fr
Wed Jun 1 09:01:28 UTC 2022

Le mercredi 01 juin 2022 à 09:29 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba a
écrit :
> On Wed, 2022-06-01 at 08:59 +0200, Philippe Maladjian wrote:
> >
> > That's exactly what I do. I copied the VM from my samba 3.5 and
> > created a VM of a user station, all placed in a dedicated network
> > that does not communicate with the prod network. After adding the
> > VM
> > pc to the domain at 3.5 test, I make several
> > connection/disconnection
> > attempts to make sure that the rights management works correctly.
> >
> > To perform the migration by changing the domain name I should
> > follow
> > this procedure:
> > - take the test pc out of the domain;
>
> If by 'pc' you mean the Samba PDC, then yes, but I would 'clone' it
> and
> then place this on a separate subnet that isn't connected to your
> production network.

No 'pc' is a Windows user station that I cloned by a p2v to my test
network.

> > - stop samba;
> > - change the workgroup name in smb.conf;
>
> You will also need to change the dns domain
>
> > - modify LDAP data by replacing the old domain (dom.mondomain) with
> > the new one (nomrue205);
> > - restart samba;
> > - reintegrate the test pc.
>
> No, not unless you want to destroy your production domain. Do all
> your
> testing away from the production domain.

It was of course on my test network that I was going to do this. I
don't do anything on the production part.

> > Won't I encounter a problem with user and machine SIDs?
>
> No, because, provided you change all mention of the old
> workgroup/Netbios domain name (DOM.MONDOMAIN) with the new one, the
> SID
> will then point to the new Netbios domain name on the clone.

Ok I will test this procedure on my test network.

> Rowland

Philippe.