[Samba] Password Hash Swapping

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:05:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 11:54 AM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> You have carry out the search on a DC.
> You need to search in the path to sam.ldb
> You need to explicitly ask for it.
>
> An example search would be:
> ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -P -b
> 'cn=Users,dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -s sub
> '(&(objectcategory=person)(samaccountname=rowland))' unicodePwd
So this is what returned from our test user:
# ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -P -b 'dc=samdom,dc=com'
-s sub '(&(objectcategory=person)(samaccountname=pwtest))' unicodePwd
| fgrep unicodePwd
unicodePwd:: effDoqwcYECEahP6c/W8lA==

> You calculate the unicodePwd like this:
>
> echo -n "\"$PASSWORD\"" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16LE | base64 -w 0
>
> Note: The duplicate ' " ' are required, they are, believe it or not,
> part of the password.
When we ran the plaintest password (noted below) through the formula,
we're met with a different value.
# echo -n "\"JuniorMint10@\"" | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16LE | base64 -w 0
IgBKAHUAbgBpAG8AcgBNAGkAbgB0ADEAMABAACIA

> Depending on what your country allows, you could obtain the users
> password,run it backwards through the formula above and then log in.
> If you do this, I would then set the user to have to change their
> password at next logon.
Now, we've done this with another test password, that returned a
similar value to the above, and used
# ldbedit -P -b 'dc=samdom,dc=com' -s sub
'(&(objectcategory=person)(samaccountname=pwtest))' unicodePwd
To modify the sam.ldb file, when we input the value WE calculated, it
accepts it, and transforms it into a similar has that is returned when
we run the ldbsearch command. This is fine, and accomplished half of
our goal. The other half however, is trying to swap the old hash
(effDoqwcYECEahP6c/W8lA==) in this case, BACK into the sam.ldb via
ldbedit, in which case an error is returned stating we can't put NT
Hash's directly into the sam.ldb. So is there a way to go about just
swapping the hashes directly without the conversion taking place,
allowing us to place the old password back on the user's object?

Regards,
Ralph