[Samba] Compiling and upgrading

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Thu Jul 14 11:05:35 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 11:51 +0200, Nicolas Boissé via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a samba AD server (CentOS 7) installed from compiled sources.
>
> What is the procedure for compiling and updating? Can I just remove
> /usr/local/samba/bin, lib, libexec and sbin, then make && install ?
>
> Or is it an insecure method and better not to update ?
>
> Thanks!

If you still have the source that you ran "make install" from then you
should be able to run "make uninstall" to remove the old version
completely.

See: https://github.com/samba-team/samba/blob/master/Makefile

So, download the new source, configure and make it.  Run the uninstall
on the old version and then make install on the new one.

I notice that the Makefile goes on about something called waf so things
have changed since I last compiled Samba!  So let's look in buildtools/
...  oh a README ... follow the link to code.google ... 404.

Sorry, I'm out!

Cheers
Jon