[Samba] smbcacls and the CONTROL: entry

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Jul 12 19:29:12 UTC 2022

Greetings.

I am trying to clone a folder ACL without the need to run a remote
desktop session to a Windows desktop over an slow connection.

I 'exported' the ACL entries with

   smbcacls //server/share src_folder

I whe trying to import the same values with

   smbcacls //server/share dst_folder -S ...

With the same exported ACLs, I get an error about:

   Failed to parse token 'CONTROL ...

If I remove the CONTROL: entry the ACLs are copied fine, but the CONTROL
field is different if I compare src_folder and dst_folder

What means the CONTROL entry that smbcacls display but don't understand
when setting (-S)?. The smbcacls man page doesn't describe it.

It is ok for src_folder and dst_folder to have these different CONTROL:
values if I want the same ACLs for them?