[Samba] Print server not loading drivers

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 18:21:50 UTC 2022

Hi List,

I'm working on setting up a print server using Samba 4.13.13 for Debian. I
have the DC running in another VM, and the print server (PS1) is joined as
a member server. I have the printers loaded in CUPS, and followed the
config guide from the Wiki. I have set the Group Policy to trust the FQDN
of this print server, and to allow the printer to install without UAC
prompts.

When I browse to \\PS1.example.com, I can see all the printers listed.
Good! I move on to the Print Management step.

I load up the FQDN of the server, add the driver (a Type 3 x64 Windows 10
driver, matching my machine), all good. When I go to Properties of the
Printer, I choose No, go to Advanced, choose the driver, and hit OK.
Normally, it'd install the driver and I could start configuring it. What's
happening now is I get a message "The 'KONICA MINOLTA 368SeriesPCL SP'
printer driver is nto installed on this computer. Some printer properties
will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want
to install the driver now?". If I choose No, I don't get to configure much
on the printer - the name and a few other things. If I click Yes, I go
through the Add Driver wizard, selecting the same driver, installing it,
then I get the same basic printer properties dialog as if I said No.

I tried the rpcclient commands listed at the bottom of the Print Server
wiki, and confirmed the driver does show up:

        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\LOCALHOST\DUCH-Counselling]
368SeriesPCL SP,Konica Minolta bizhub 308]
        comment:[Konica Minolta bizhub 308]

I am a member of the Domain Admins group while doing this, and verified I
have the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege and SePrintOperatorPrivilege on the print
server. What am I missing? (Yes, I rebooted both client and server)

Here is my smb.conf:

# testparm -s
Loaded services file OK.
Weak crypto is allowed
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        client signing = required
        disable netbios = Yes
        interfaces = lo enp1s0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        realm = DUCH.EXAMPLE.COM
        security = ADS
        server role = member server
        server signing = required
        template homedir = /home/duch/%U
        winbind separator = /
        workgroup = DUCH
        spoolss: architecture = Windows x64
        rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
        rpc_server:spoolss = external
        idmap config duch : range = 100000-199999
        idmap config duch : backend = rid
        idmap config * : range = 70000-99999
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        map acl inherit = Yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr

[printers]
        browseable = No
        path = /var/spool/samba/
        printable = Yes

[print$]
        path = /usr/local/share/printer_drivers/
        read only = No