[Samba] Problem file server with microsoft office temp files

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 6 15:04:23 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-07-06 at 11:37 -0300, Gabriel Franca via samba wrote:
> Good morning people,
>
> I have a problem on my file server with samba in version 4.15.5 with
> office
> files (excel, word etc..).
> When someone saves a file in the domain, an 8-character file with the
> extension .tmp appears. The server already has hundreds of TMP files
> that
> are not deleted by themselves.

Known problem, a known microsoft problem, word etc creates a temporary
file xxxxxxxx.tmp and then when the file is saved, it is supposed to be
saved with the contents of the '*.tmp' file with a new name and the
'*.tmp' file is supposed to be deleted, very often word etc doesn't.

You can hide the .tmp files with 'hide files' or you can add them to
'veto files'

Rowland