[Samba] Out of topic : Tool to ease conversion from Domain machine to standalone..

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Mon Jan 31 20:43:44 UTC 2022

Hi All,

Pardon the intrusion....
This question is not related to samba but I thought the highly
skilled folks here might have some tips to share.

I've been using Samba AD for a few years for our family and it recently
occured to me that some of our older offspring might go to unversities in
various parts of the country (or even abroad) and maybe not come back at
all (perhaps they'll find a job there).

Since their machines were joined to our AD and since we have severall
GPOs, is this a disaster waiting to happen (after 180days?). Does anyone
have a piece of advice to offer here? Ideally, I´d want to convert their
AD account to a local one while retaining Apps, Login passwd and make sure
they'll never get locked our of their own machines..

I realize I could also opt for a private VPN but that might not be
practical here in the long terme..

Any tools/recommendations on this topic?
Thanks for reading,

Vincent