[Samba] Kerberos authentication issue after upgrading from 4-14-stable to 4-15-stable

Alex samba at abisoft.biz
Thu Jan 27 12:01:34 UTC 2022

Hello Louis,

Samba is already handling the system's keytab (/etc/krb5.keytab), but for some reason this error comes up when I try to acquire a TGT with k5start:
[root at vm-corp samba]# /usr/bin/k5start -f /etc/krb5.keytab -L -l 1d -k /tmp/krb5cc_test -U -o nslcd -vvv
Kerberos initialization for host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
k5start: authenticating as host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
k5start: getting tickets for krbtgt/ABISOFT.BIZ at ABISOFT.BIZ
k5start: error getting credentials: Client 'host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ' not found in Kerberos database

[root at vm-corp samba]# net ads keytab list /etc/krb5.keytab | grep 'host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ'
  2  DES cbc mode with CRC-32                    host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
  2  DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5                   host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
  2  AES-128 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC     host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
  2  AES-256 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC     host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ
  2  ArcFour with HMAC/md5                       host/vm-corp.abisoft.biz at ABISOFT.BIZ

Any ideas why?

The reason to use k5start is b/c some progs can't work with keytab file directly. For example, nslcd.

> Im wondering why you dont use winbind for the keytabs setup and let samba handle it.
>
> Thats what i suggest.
> Install winbind only.

> Use :
>     dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5.keytab
>     kerberos method = secrets and keytab

>     # renew the kerberos ticket
>     winbind refresh tickets = yes

> Add the use that keytab or make separated keytab file as you do now.

> You might have a reason to use k5start but i havent see it so far.

Best regards,
Alex