[Samba] Remove LanMan auth from the AD DC and possibly file server?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 26 18:06:25 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-01-26 at 07:14 -0700, David Mulder via samba wrote:
> On 1/26/22 6:55 AM, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> > In any case, however inappropriate it is for me to offer an
> > opinion,
> > maybe it's time to branch?  Create a samba4-legacy branch which
> > only
> > gets security patches and otherwise never changes, and a samba4
> > main
> > branch from which old junk is ruthlessly stripped without mercy
> > and
> > which is updated to work with the endless Windows updates that
> > break
> > things in Samba
> >

> IMHO, I'd rather move forward with the stripping without mercy, and
> let
> someone else do the forking if they really need legacy cruft.

I agree, and the issue is the maintenance cost.

We simply don't have the resources to provide even security patches to
what will soon be such an old version, and much of the motivation is to
avoid accidentally creating or leaving in security issues in rare
codepaths while working on this stuff.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions