[Samba] Remove LanMan auth from the AD DC and possibly file server?

Dr. Thomas Orgis thomas.orgis at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jan 26 14:10:30 UTC 2022

Am Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:55:22 -0600
schrieb Patrick Goetz via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:

>   - Instrumentation equipment running old versions of Windows which
> can't be upgraded
>  However it should be possible to run older versions
> of Samba in a container?

I think for old appliances without software maintenance, it is
appropriate to segregate them in the network and have an equally
segregated instance of an old version of samba serving them. I'd build
some kind of bridge pulling the data from things like scanners into the
new storage environment automatically, but not having the old devices
dictate how the public service is run.

Heck, you could encapsulate things even by (literally) duct-taping a
single-board computer to the old expensive hardware that presents as
the old-style SMB server to it (using container, VM, or just a custom
build of samba for this) and talk to the newer servers on the outside
in whatever fashion.

But of course, if this is in a customer's network who doesn't even
want to consider changing the config of scanners to use SMTP instead …
it might not be viable to convince them of such a solution;-)

Not speaking current SMB might be one of the lesser reasons not to have
these things on the network along with other gear …

Alrighty then,

Thoams

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis