[Samba] pam_winbind, ssh and cross-forest membership...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Fri Jan 21 10:27:59 UTC 2022

Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> If you set 'winbind use default domain = yes' in a smb.conf file with
> multiple domains, then strange things happen.

Andrew seems to say 'no', that on latest samba code the 'winbind use default domain = yes'
stuff is more solid/coherent... clearly you have to keep 'coherence' of your
POSIX stuff, having users with and without domain in the same server... but
this is up to you...

> There is also the fact
> that the parameter is 'winbind use default domain', the 'default'
> domain (When using the 'rid' or 'ad' backend) is the one that isn't
> '*'. How does winbind know what is the 'default' domain if there are
> more than one domain that isn't the '*' domain ?

Seems absolutly clear to me. It is what defined in:

	workgroup =
	realm =

stanza in [globals]...

> If Andrew is correct, then the 'winbind use default domain' parameter
> in 'man smb.conf' needs a much better description.

Probably. Can you 'ping' Andrew for a feedback? ;-)

--
  Nobody expects the Bavarian inquisition!
						(Anonimo, 19/4/2005)