[Samba] Samba 4.14.5 NTLMv1

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Tue Jan 18 14:54:36 UTC 2022

> On 18. Jan 2022, at 16.43, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2022-01-18 at 16:34 +0200, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:
>>>

>> I had this same problem a while back when connecting from Supermicro
>> IPMI interface. The workaround was to use UPN in the form of
>> user.account at domain.com. Is this possible in your clients? You can
>> find my posts from last March in the list archives.
>>
>> I never found any smb.conf setting that would make this work again.
>> Did you upgrade your base OS as well? In my testing this stopped
>> working after upgrading from Ubuntu 18 to 20. Perhaps the packages
>> are compiled differently or there’s some incompatibility between
>> later Samba and Ubuntu builds.
>>
>> -Perttu
>
> I don't remember this being asked on here, but the problem was probably
> down to 18.04 using Samba 4.7.6 (which had 'CORE' as the minimum
> protocol) and 20.04 using 4.11.x (which had 'SMB2' as the minimum
> protocol). There is also the fact that from Samba 4.8.0 , winbind must
> be running on a domain computer.
>
> Rowland

It’s in the archives with the subject "winbind use default domain problem after upgrade”. I was using Louis’ packages and winbind running on the same domain member machine. Back then I was upgrading from 4.10.5 to 4.13.2 but to me it looked like Ubuntu version was the reason more than anything changing in Samba specifically.

AFAIR I tested many versions between 4.10 and 4.13 to find where it broke, but I could only reproduce it with an upgrade to Ubuntu 20, not with any specific Samba update.

-Perttu