[Samba] CTDB [legacy] recmaster capabilty option (was Re: CTDB Question w/ Winbind)

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Jan 18 03:04:53 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 14:53:40 -0400, Robert Buck via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> That (L/REC) master approach by setting LN to be those for their data, but
> no other region be enabled for lmaster or recmaster, WAY faster. 8s for
> 100x 10MiB files. Also, several other types of operations in Windows are
> now faster. [...]

As the only users of CTDB's

  [legacy] recmaster capability

configuration option, I thought I would give you (and the rest of the
list) a heads up that this option will change in Samba 4.16.  It will
now be

  [cluster] leader capability

So, it has now been promoted from legacy to being a first class
configuration item.  It also works reliably, since I have now
completely reworked the code that decides when an election is required
and added some tests.

From 4.16 CTDB will use a leader broadcast and a corresponding timeout
to determine when elections are required.  When a cluster lock
(previously "recovery lock" - though deprecated this config option will
still work for a couple of releases) is enabled, elections will be by
race-for-cluster-lock to avoid races between elections, internode
connectivity and cluster filesystems.

Please read the release notes carefully When Samba 4.16 is released in
about March...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin