[Samba] Samba on CentOS 8 with sssd and AD users/groups and local users/groups

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Sat Jan 15 15:52:33 UTC 2022

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba wrote:

> I've not been publishing binaries, and I've not updated it
> successfully to 4.15.3 for RHEL 7. There are some python dependency
> issues that made me bang my head on the table.
>
> I'm about ready to discard RHEL 7 as a supported platform, the work of
> integrating the backported gnutls and other tools is getting to be
> more work than I care to do. Is the MIT kerberos integration good
> enough to rely on for RHEL 8 yet, in which case a lot of the work of
> handling Heimdal Kerberos goes away.

I'm in the same boat, I was unable to make an easy build of 4.14.z on
RHEL7 so I gave up and upgraded my DCs + rpms to RHEL8.. RHEL7, at this
point in time is already in 'Maintenance Phase 2' where only critical
issues are fixed (this is an over-simplification). RHEL 7.9 is the last
minor release for RHEL7 and all fixes/updates are going to be made
available on top of that.

On a side note, using the leapp tool to upgrade my DC's from 7.9 to 8.3
was quite easy and the VMs were updated in place (of course, I had to
inject the el8-based rpms after leapp but this was faily easy).

Vincent