[Samba] Samba on CentOS 8 with sssd and AD users/groups and local users/groups

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Fri Jan 14 20:06:01 UTC 2022

On 14.01.2022 19:27, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 14:06 -0500, Luc Lalonde via samba wrote:
>> I've tried, but came to the conclusion that Debian is evil... and I
>> won't go to the dark side ;-)
>>
>> Seriously, I prefer the way Redhat and derivatives (Fedora, Centos,
>> etc)
>> are organized.   Really, I could never get used to 'apt-whatever'.
>> also really like 'Kickstart' for auto-documenting setups.
>>
>> Hardware manufacturers will also offload support if you're not using
>> an
>> enterprise distro like RHEL or SUse.   I've had too man bad
>> experiences
>> with this.
> I decided to set up Samba on a version of RHEL 8 and used almalinux. I
> had more problem getting the GUI login to work than getting Samba and
> winbind to work. There is only one problem, red-hat has removed pam-
> krb5, so no kerberos unless I can find a repo somewhere. I ask, what
> distro removes such a vital package without providing a replacement
> (and yes, I know it is now built into sssd, which is not much help if
> you are not using sssd).
>
> Rowland

Hi folks,

I must chime in here as a long term user of CentOS (CentOS 7) in a
commercial environment. I have found CentOS fairly quirky to work with.
At the moment I have got a bunch of servers with CentOS 7 for different
purposes. I don't deny it's stable, but much of it is ancient, even
before CentOS 8 was published. On several occasions I have had problems
compiling  and/or installing software or drivers due to the environment
being extremely conservative. Also, CentOS tends to deviate too much
from Linux mainstream development with the advent of RHEL8, creating a
RedHat island, where you many times need professional (and expensive)
advice to overcome quirks. I don't deny there are pros and cons with
every distro, but the RedHat world is just not going in a direction that
I'm prepared to buy into.

The last 2 years I'm subsequently replacing CentOS with Debian, and I'm
very pleased with the stability, compatibility and ease of use of
Debian. IMHO, Debian is a golden middle path, using stable, well tested
components. I have migrated our Samba AD environment, including Windows
workstations and member servers during the last year, and I have no
regrets. I'm using Louis's Samba repos (4.15.3 at the moment), and I'm
very satisfied with the current state of things.

I have been using different flavors of Linux since 1996, for many years
mostly Slackware in non-GUI servers. However, development seemed to slow
down and apparently cease altogether, and the distro became stale,
excluding the use of many main stream components, or making use of them
very cumbersome, most notably Python 3. One of the main reasons I
migrated the Slackware servers to CentOS, was the need to migrate a very
ancient Samba NT domain to something more efficient. From stability and
security reasons, also due to the availability of HP supplied RAID
controller drivers I chose CentOS 7 at that time. But that saga ends
shortly.

So my conclusion is to stay mainstream. Too much deviation hurts,
sometimes very much so.

I wish you all pleasant weekend and thanks to the Samba people for a
great product and great support.

Peter