[Samba] Samba on CentOS 8 with sssd and AD users/groups and local users/groups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 14 20:16:25 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-01-14 at 15:07 -0500, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> Interesting... You didn't have problems with missing dependancies?

No, just added the repo, installed pam_krb5 and configured
/etc/security/pam_winbind.conf

> They're really pushing you to use SSSD:

Well they would, it is theirs.

> pam_krb5
>
> This PAM module provides Kerberos-based authentication. From the
> very
> beginning of its existence the SSSD project was targeting replacing
> pam_krb5 on the system. SSSD has offered Kerberos authentication for
> years, but also much more. With the release of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux
> 7.4 SSSD has the features that we believe users need from the
> standard
> pam_krb5 module, and we felt ready to add it to the set of
> deprecated
> PAM modules.
>
> Taken from (you need an account to read it, a free dev account will
> do):
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/4256011

As far as I remember, the pam_krb5 they removed was their version,
which wasn't very good, and had nothing to do with version that Debian
uses.

I just need to wait until tomorrow and see if my ticket is renewed, as
on Debian.

Rowland