[Samba] Samba on ZFS

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:44:34 UTC 2022

I'm about to deploy a Samba fileserver where the underlying filesystem
on the data partition is ZFS, and someone on the zfsonlinux list got me
worried that there might be some problems with doing this (e.g.
particularly when it comes to extended POSIX ACLs, which I use heavily).

This lead me to this page:
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_zfsacl.8.html

where I saw this:  "This module follows the posix-acl behaviour and
hence allows permission stealing via chown."

I have no idea what permission stealing is, and when I tried to google
it, I just got references to this man page.

Also, this "This module makes use of the smb.conf parameter acl map full
control = acl map full control. When set to yes ..."

acl map full control = acl map full control ?

Is that a typo?  I would expect to see, for example
acl map full control = yes

or something like this.

Finally, am I going to run into extended ACL issues by Samba sharing ZFS
datasets?