[Samba] Windows Clients (10-1909 + 2012R2) not purging Machine Account tickets after auto-renew?

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Mon Jan 10 17:31:33 UTC 2022

For sake of closure (I hope, but we'll see in another 2-3 weeks) the
(probably) most relevant part of this was that I upgraded the domain
functionality level from 2003 to 2008_R2.

If accurate, then this link explains most of it:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/askds/it-turns-out-that-weird-things-can-happen-when-you-mix-windows-server-2003-and-windows-server-2012-r2-domain-controllers

The Kerberos client depends on a “salt” from the KDC in order to create the
> AES keys on the client side. These AES keys are used to hash the password
> that the user enters on the client, and protect it in transit over the wire
> so that it can’t be intercepted and decrypted. The “salt” refers to
> information that is fed into the algorithm used to generate the keys, so
> that the KDC is able to verify the password hash and issue tickets to the
> user.
> When a Windows 2012 R2 DC is promoted in an environment where Windows 2003
> DCs are present, there is a mismatch in the encryption types that are
> supported on the KDCs and used for salting. Windows Server 2003 DCs do not
> support AES and Windows Server 2012 R2 DCs don’t support DES for salting.

Substitute 2008_R2 for 2012 R2, and it seems to match up.

Hopefully nobody else is still running at domain functionality level 2003

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net