[Samba] [Announce] Samba meta-data symlink vulnerability CVE-2021-20316

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 10 17:00:51 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 04:31:02PM +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
>On 1/10/22 16:06, Sven Schwedas via samba wrote:
>>Just for clarification: If client min protocol is set to SMB2 or
>>higher, *or* unix entensions are disabled, and NFS is not used, this
>>is not exploitable?
>
>correct. Unless you allow access by ssh.
>
>>Or do Unix extensions always allow this race, even with recent
>>protocol versions?
>
>SMB2 and newer don't (yet) support UNIX extensions.

One more thing :-). The design for SMB2 UNIX extensions
allows creation / removal / renaming of UNIX symlinks over
SMB2 but how the server stores these is implementation
dependent.

The new (current now, I guess) VFS design makes smbd
safe against real filesystem symlink escapes, but the current
plan for smbd is *NOT* to store SMB2+UNIX extension symlinks
are "real" filesystem symlinks, but to store them in
an EA attached to a zero-length file.

This will prevent any future problems with symlinks
created by SMB (especially once the SMB1 code is
removed from smbd) but at a cost of making the SMB2
UNIX symlinks not visible from NFS.

That's a cost I think is worth it for the security
safety benefits.

User modifiable symlinks really are "The Worlds
Worst Idea (tm)." I blame Berkeley :-).