[Samba] unexpected name obfuscation

Michael Evans michael.evans at nor-consult.com
Mon Jan 10 05:48:15 UTC 2022

I suspect you've run across a reserved filename issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+reserved+filename

"From Microsoft's documentation: Do not use the following reserved names for
the name of a file: CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6,
COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.
Also avoid these names followed immediately by an extension; for example,
NUL. "

It's a reserved filename; you won't be able to use it on windows ever, at
least not without bugs and incompatibilities.

E.G. aux.something or any other long file name that gets stored as a segment
starting with AUX.