[Samba] unexpected name obfuscation

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Sun Jan 9 17:17:34 UTC 2022

Using Samba client I have mounted a share provided by a Samba server.
Both endpoints are Linux Mint.

The shared folder sits on a Btrfs file system, and the top-level sub-
directories have simple names. All are exposed directly but one, whose
name is obfuscated. The actual name is not at all unusual, however,
being only the three ASCII characters "aux".

The composition of the name may be easily verified, from a shell prompt
on the server, as follows:

$ ls -1d aux | wc -c
4
$ ls -1d aux | hexdump -c
0000000   a   u   x  \n
0000004

How may I expose the name without obfuscation?