[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 6 16:18:17 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 15:50 +0000, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:

> Could you explain the statement "providing you have set up the share
> correctly using Windows ACLs"?  Would this have been set up when I
> ran the classicupgrade?  This does seem like the way to go but I'm
> not sure what to do with all my current users.  Would they all need
> to be converted?

If you follow the links I provided earlier, you will set up the ACLs
correctly.

I think one of the problems here is that there are two possible home
directories in play here:
Windows home directories
Unix home directories

Each is meant for a different reason, the Windows home directory is
best set through ADUC, this will create the required directory with the
required permissions.

Unix home directories are just that, the home directory for users that
log into a Unix machine directly (or via Samba if it already exists, or
is created using a root preexec script at first connection)

Another problem is that the OP has upgraded an NT4-style domain to an
AD domain and is still thinking in NT4-style, he needs to forget most
of what he knows and start thinking in AD. There is similarity between
an NT4-style domain and an AD domain, but they are very different,
mostly for the better.

If the OP is only going to have the Samba machine as a DC and
fileserver (not recommended), then he is constrained by what the DC is
capable of, he must use the xidNumber IDs (numbers in the 3000000
range) and cannot use any other rfc2307 attributes.

Rowland