[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:25:49 UTC 2022

On 05 January 2022 21:30 Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
> So if I'm understanding this correctly the home account for a users samba file share is independent of the AD user right?� So it
> sounds to me like I'm just replacing the pdbedit command with the two samba-tool commands.� One for the user, one for the
> group.� I'll still need the adduser command to actually create the users home folder.��
> Thanks
> Carl
As you have Windows 7 machines, I personally would install RSAT on one of these machines and use Active Directory Users and Computers to create users, manage group membership etc.   If you point the user's Home folder on the Profile tab to the user's home folder on the file server, ADUC will also automatically create the folder for you with the correct permissions (providing you have set up the share correctly using Windows ACLs).  No need for any pre-exec scripts etc.   After all you are using samba to serve Active Directory to Windows machines, therefore use the Windows tools, they work perfectly well with samba.   Just my personal preference - you choose what's best for you.

Roy