[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 20:55:28 UTC 2022

 On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 03:36:50 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

 On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 20:23 +0000, Carl Hunter wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 03:04:32 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via
> samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 19:42 +0000, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
> >  On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 02:20:28 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny
> via
> > samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>> > >
> > So my environment is one Ubuntu 18.04 server that's been
> > classicupgraded to a Samba AD DC.
>
> Samba does not recommend using a DC as a fileserver, could you run
> another Samba instance as a fileserver (in a VM ?).
>
> >  All machines connecting to the AD are Windows 7 machines and
> > eventually Windows 10 machines.
>
> Windows 7 user SMBv1, but Windows 10 has this turned off by default.
>
> >  The server is running Samba file shares but no printserver.  Each
> > user has their own /home folder on the file server and access to a
> > few other shares which are mapped by a logon.cmd script when they
> log
> > in.
>
> Do you have this line in the smb.conf file:
>
> template homedir = /home/%U
>
> If you do not, your user will get /home/DOMAIN/%U
>
> > For the example commands above, the students group was already
> > created in the NT4 domain and converted to the AD domain.
>
> You just need to add your users to the 'students' group (if they are
> not already members)
>
> >  I do see a "Creating a Windows and Unix user" section on the samba
> > wiki but I'm not sure what all the unix options mean.
>
> I think you mean here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Adding_users_with_samba_tool
>
> Can you say which options you do not understand.
>

> Rowland
>
> Yes, I have that line in the smb.conf file.  Everything is working
> fine for the users that were converted to AD in both Windows 7 and
> Windows 10.  I'm just trying to figure out how to add new users
> now.
>
> For the options I don't understand, I see a --unix-home option.  Will
> that create a home folder for me?  And then do I need the other 4
> options in that list?  Basically I just need a home folder added for
> each user that they have access to through the samba share.

If you are using a DC as a fileserver, you can forget all the RFC2307
attributes except for the uidNumber & gidNumber (--uid-number & --gid-
number), none of the others are used on a DC.

Rowland

So then I think I need something like this.  "sudo samba-tool user create username password --unix-home=/home/username --uid-number=something --gid-number=something"  Does this look correct?  I'm not sure where the uid and gid values come from.
Thanks
Carl