[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 20:23:11 UTC 2022

 On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 03:04:32 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

 On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 19:42 +0000, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>  On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 02:20:28 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via
> samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> So my environment is one Ubuntu 18.04 server that's been
> classicupgraded to a Samba AD DC.

Samba does not recommend using a DC as a fileserver, could you run
another Samba instance as a fileserver (in a VM ?).

>  All machines connecting to the AD are Windows 7 machines and
> eventually Windows 10 machines.

Windows 7 user SMBv1, but Windows 10 has this turned off by default.

>  The server is running Samba file shares but no printserver.  Each
> user has their own /home folder on the file server and access to a
> few other shares which are mapped by a logon.cmd script when they log
> in.

Do you have this line in the smb.conf file:

template homedir = /home/%U

If you do not, your user will get /home/DOMAIN/%U

> For the example commands above, the students group was already
> created in the NT4 domain and converted to the AD domain.

You just need to add your users to the 'students' group (if they are
not already members)

>  I do see a "Creating a Windows and Unix user" section on the samba
> wiki but I'm not sure what all the unix options mean.

I think you mean here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Adding_users_with_samba_tool

Can you say which options you do not understand.

Rowland

Yes, I have that line in the smb.conf file.  Everything is working fine for the users that were converted to AD in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.  I'm just trying to figure out how to add new users now.
For the options I don't understand, I see a --unix-home option.  Will that create a home folder for me?  And then do I need the other 4 options in that list?  Basically I just need a home folder added for each user that they have access to through the samba share.
Thanks
Carl