[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 19:42:14 UTC 2022

 On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 02:20:28 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

 On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 18:49 +0000, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>  On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 12:07:19 p.m. EST, Rowland Penny via
> samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> I'm not sure why the carriage returns aren't working for me.  I'll
> try the commands in quotes all on the same line.

>  "pdbedit -a -t username"

samba-tool user create username <password>

>  "adduser username users"

Nothing because 'users' is a member of Domain Users and all users are
members of Domain Users

>  "adduser username students"

samba-tool group addmembers students username (you will also need to
create the group 'students')

>  "usermod -g students username"

Nothing

>  "chgrp -R students /home/username" "chmod -R o-rx /home/username".

After creating a user in AD (note: you do not create them as Unix
users), the users home directory will not exist. It will need to be
created when they login into a Unix domain member directory (by
pam_mkhomedir) or by a root preexec script when they connect to their
homedir via Samba (I can supply more info after you have decided which
you want to use).

> Those are the commands that are run for the old NT4 domain.  As for
> the Unix domain member, I'm guessing I'm not since I'm not sure what
> that is.  I've only got one server if that makes sense.

'server' covers a multitude of types, fileserver, printserver etc, but
it sounds like you have a Samba AD DC. A Windows or Unix (Linux is a
type of Unix) computer can be a domain member. A domain member is any
computer that is a member of an AD domain that isn't a DC.

Rowland
So my environment is one Ubuntu 18.04 server that's been classicupgraded to a Samba AD DC.  All machines connecting to the AD are Windows 7 machines and eventually Windows 10 machines.  The server is running Samba file shares but no printserver.  Each user has their own /home folder on the file server and access to a few other shares which are mapped by a logon.cmd script when they log in.
For the example commands above, the students group was already created in the NT4 domain and converted to the AD domain.  I do see a "Creating a Windows and Unix user" section on the samba wiki but I'm not sure what all the unix options mean.
Thanks
Carl