[Samba] after 4.9 to 4.13 Pro Tools can't write to share

Casey Stone scoremixer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 19:53:04 UTC 2022

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 8:19 PM Ralph Boehme <slow at samba.org> wrote:

> just a wild guess, but you may try setting
>
>    fruit:nfs_aces = no
>
> in the global section. Same for
>
>    fruit:zero_file_id = yes
>
> You can also try removing
>
>  > streams_xattr:prefix = user.
>  > streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
>
> as both are rarely used and not tested in our CI.

Thank you Rowland and Ralph for your quick responses.

Ralph, after quite a bit of experimentation I believe adding fruit:nfs_aces
= no was the key to solving the problem. I went around in circles a bit so
I can't be sure about some others. I am wary about changing the
streams_xattr options as I have some precious old (pre-OSX) files I want to
be able to read back, though I don't understand whether or not these two
options would affect anything actually used by MacOS in reading/writing
files -- please inform me! I think I added those due to some postings you
made back in about 2013.

When I first set up this samba system it was a migration from Netatalk and
also I had one Win10 workstation I wanted to stay as compatible as possible
with. Now however, it's only Macs (or Linux) using the samba shares and
Netatalk is over. One problem I have is though file permissions look right
on the server side, when viewed in the MacOS terminal any files written (by
any app) have executable permissions set. It's unsightly and worrying, but
maybe not causing any problems. I have tried a number of options but
nothing I did changed it.

Here's my current smb.conf directives set, if you have any comments for me,
I would appreciate it (Spotlight is not working, but that's for another
thread):

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   dns proxy = no
   interfaces = vmbr0 vmbr1 vmbr2 vmbr3
   bind interfaces only = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   unix password sync = no
   guest account = smbguest
   map to guest = Bad User

# recent changes
  fruit:nfs_aces = no
  unix extensions = no
  rpc_server:mdsvc = embedded

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[PT-Data1]
comment = smb share on pvea with btrfs 970
path = /ptnvme
hide files = /.DS_Store/Network Trash
Folder/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Temporary
Items/.TemporaryItems/.VolumeIcon.icns/Icon?/.FBCIndex/.FBCLockFolder/
store dos attributes = yes
locking = no
ea support = yes
spotlight = yes