[Samba] UID translation mystery or Festivus miracle?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 4 16:05:27 UTC 2022

Thanks, Roland!

I thought rsync defaulted to using numeric ids, but am now realizing I
only thought this because more often than not I'm rsync'ing to hosts
where most of the source host users don't exist (so the file owner is
just displayed as the source host numeric ID).

About this, though:

 > The magic of 'id_type_both', Samba creates a usergroup if one does not
 > exist.

I thought of this and used ADUC to look for a pgoetz group in the
domain, but found none. Is this a persistent group, and if so, how/where
is it stored that it can't be found by ADUC?