[Samba] getent not returning users/groups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 28 21:07:42 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-02-28 at 14:49 -0600, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> On 2/28/22 14:10, Michael Evans via samba wrote:
> > PS: ad vs RID / etc... What I actually want Samba to do is have AD
> > over-ride
> > RID but to use both, and be able to manually assign a user / group
> > UID / GID
> > if required for local compatibility.
> >

> I'm guessing there's no way to reasonably facilitate this

That is correct, there is no way for a Unix domain member to use two
idmap backends on one domain. If you want some of your users to have a
specific ID, then you must use the 'ad' idmap backend and give all your
users and groups RFC2307 attributes. Otherwise you use the 'autorid' or
'rid' idmap backend (there are others) and allow Samba to calculate the
Unix IDs.

Rowland