[Samba] getent not returning users/groups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 28 16:33:20 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-02-28 at 16:21 +0000, spindles seven wrote:

> Mine too, so not sure why you said my post was totally wrong.    You
> clipped the remaidner of my post which demonstrated what you say
> above.      Seems like I was totally right😊
>
> Roy

You posted this:

Remove that line from smb.conf and all you will get are local users
and groups when you use the getent commands.

My understanding of that is: If you remove the 'enum' lines from
smb.conf, you will only get output from /etc/passwd & /etc/group.

That isn't true, provided everything is set up correctly (/etc/hosts/,
/etc/hostname, /etc/krb5.conf, /etc/samba/smb.conf, etc), 'getent' will
display AD users as Unix users, without the 'enum' lines in smb.conf

If I misunderstood your post, then I am sorry, but I can only comment
on what I understand a post to be.

Rowland