[Samba] getent not returning users/groups

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 25 23:00:26 UTC 2022

I've spun up many Ubuntu 20.04 AD clients at this point and have never
had this problem.

Quick checklist:

  - If you used Louis's repo, then you've obviously done the apt
configuration

  - /etc/resolv.conf should look like this:

    samba-dc  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    search SAMDOM.example.com

  - acl attr and dnsutils should already be installed on Ubuntu, but check

  - Samba packages to install:
  # apt install samba samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind
libpam-winbind libnss-  winbind libpam-krb5 krb5-config krb5-user

  - Set the Kerberos Realm to SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM

  - Some additional useful stuff which I don't think is necessary,
    but if you're having issues, can't hurt:
  # apt install ldb-tools smbclient cifs-utils

  - /etc/krb5.conf needs to look like this:

    [libdefaults]
    default_realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
    dns_lookup_realm = false
    dns_lookup_kdc = true

  - You don't need to to synchronize time against the DC,
    and on Ubuntu 20.04 the NTP service should be on by default,
    but check:

  # timedatectl

  it should say "NTP service: active" if not:

  # timedatectl set-ntp true

  - but I've noticed Ubuntu will get the time zone wrong sometimes.
    You can check:
  # date +"%Z %z"

  and if it's wrong set it:

  # timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

  (using your time zone, of course; I'm in CST)

  - Make sure your /etc/hosts file includes this host if you're using
    static IPs, and get rid of any  127.0.1.1 lines:

  -- 127.0.1.1 my-samba-client
  ++ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx my-samba-client.samdom.example.com my-samba-client

  - Turn off and disable nmbd:
  # systemctl disable --now smbd

  - Configure /etc/samba/smb.conf as per your requirements

  - Join the domain:
  # net ads join -U administrator

  - After joining the domain, you must restart Samba services:
  # systemctl restart smbd
  # systemctl restart winbind

  - Append the  winbind entry to /etc/nsswitch.conf:
    passwd: files systemd winbind
    group:  files systemd winbind

That's it: getent should now work.