[Samba] getent not returning users/groups

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 25 19:39:33 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-02-25 at 11:28 -0800, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:
> > On Fri, 2022-02-25 at 08:20 -0800, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> > > Oh, I see Louis also has those in the repo. Since I'm using his
> > > Samba, might as well use his libnss too.
> > You have to use them from the same repo (or to be precise, the same
> > version).
> > >
> > > Now to check and see if I did fail to install the library. (But
> > > if I
> > > were a betting man, that's what I'd bet on.)
> > If they are not there, or are the wrong version, getent will not
> > work.
> > Rowland
>

> So, here are the packages I installed as part of the Samba install
>
> apt install samba winbind libnss-winbind libpam-winbind ntp krb5-user
> binutils ldb-tools smbclient libpam-krb5
>
> Am I missing anything that would impact this issue?

No.
You installed the packages.

Configured ntp to use the DC's as time servers (time is within 5
minutes of the DC)

Checked /etc/krb5.conf to see that it is using the dns domain as the
realm (in uppercase)

Configured /etc/samba/smb.conf

Joined the domain (what does 'sudo net ads testjoin' show ?).

wbinfo works, but getent doesn't

Is all that correct ?

Rowland