[Samba] Windows 10 long path woes

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 25 18:38:58 UTC 2022

On 2/23/22 07:26, gs at wvac.club wrote:

> I believe that while that GPO enabled long paths for Windows
> filesystems, unfortunately any application that has not been updated to
> support the long filenames won't work, and that list currently includes
> Windows Explorer (as of Windows 10 21H2, my test case).
> I tested a third-party file manager named "Files"
> (https://files.community/), and it does support long paths. Using Files
> I could create and manipulate content in paths longer than 260
> characters. Unfortunately, not all applications work with files in those
> paths. Notepad, Notepad++, and Adobe Acrobat worked fine with documents
> in long paths, but neither Office 365 Word or Excel would even open a
> document that had been copied into the path.

Thanks very much for this suggestion and for confirming that Explorer
can't understand long paths. I spent way too much time trying to debug
this, thinking I had done something wrong since surely Microsoft would
make an integral part of their operating system like Explorer work with
the rest of the operating system (what was I thinking, thinking this?)

Files might work for them, as mostly they're just copying PDFs to these
locations.  I will suggest it to the managing digital archivist.

Thanks again!