[Samba] getent not returning users/groups

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Fri Feb 25 17:34:54 UTC 2022

Sorry, I see I posted it to Rowland only, not the list.

I'll try again

> On Fri, 2022-02-25 at 08:33 -0800, Gregory Sloop via samba wrote:

>> Dang
>> It wasn't the library.
>>
>> So, details:
>> Ubuntu 20.04 on the domain member, with 4.15.5 from Louis' repo.
>> (DC's are a mix of Ubuntu (2) 18.04 and (1) 20.04 - the 18.04's are
>> running the distro Samba and the 20.04 is running Louis' Samba
>> package.)
>>
>> smb.conf on member
>>
>> ---
>> SERVER ROLE = MEMBER SERVER
>> workgroup = AD
>> server string = FileServer
>> SECURITY = ADS
>> REALM = AD.SOMEDOMAIN.LOCAL
>> idmap config * : backend = tdb
>> idmap config * : range 3000-7999
>> idmap config AD : backend = rid
>> idmap config AD : range = 10000-999999
>> username map = /etc/samba/user.map
>> winbind enum users = yes
>> winbind enum groups = yes
>> passdb backend = tdbsam
>> wins support = yes
>> dns proxy = yes

> This is AD, so why are you running a wins server on your Unix domain
> member (wins support = yes) ? also I suggest you change 'dns proxy =
> yes' to 'dns proxy = no'.
Ok, I'll make those changes.

> Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, so is there a
> firewall getting in the way ?

I'm certainly not aware of any firewall blocks - ufw is inactive. And if there were a firewall, would wbinfo -u/-g work?
(I assume they wouldn't.)

Is there a way to test that the libnss-winbind library is properly installed and talking to winbind?
(i.e. Some more verbose logging/debug info...)