[Samba] Compatibility With PaloAlto User Identification

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 15:47:52 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 1:40 PM ralph strebbing
<blackbirdralph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Continuing on with what I'm running into, just ensuring there is no other configuration needed on Samba:
> Is there any configuration needed to ensure Kerberos v5 SSO is supported and operating properly? Or is that mostly a client thing (e.g the firewall) with the only requirement being that the Kerberos TGS is operating.
Wanted to update the group, I did get this figured out. It has more to
do with the arguments passed when running exportkeytab. (See example
below):
So at least with PaloAlto Firewalls, to add a compatible SPN and
export a keytab the following must be done:
1. Create a service user, ensure it is in the Users OU, and does NOT
have Domain Admin, set a password. (fwuser in this example)
2. Create the SPN (samba-tool spn add HTTP/<FQDN of Firewall> <service
user from step 1>
3. Export the keytab: `samba-tool domain export keytab <filename>
--password=<serviceuserpassword> -U <service user>
--principal=HTTP/<FQDN of Firewall>`

The exported file was accepted by the firewall, and once the browser
has been configured to allow Kerberos SSO, the redirect into the
firewall works and authenticates correctly!