[Samba] Member join, dns issues

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 24 17:33:40 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-02-24 at 09:04 -0800, Greg Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:
> 1) We've used local for many years, and rooting it out is kind of a
> huge pain.
> So, what happens if AVAHI is still on and we're using local? (Is
> there some specific failure, or potential DNS confusion? I'd assume
> that FQDN references work fine, but short names might be ambiguous.)
> In any case, while I know .local isn't "recommended" what's the
> actual failure point?

The problem is that you will have two services replying to a potential
dns request, if, as you say' the request is for a short hostname, the
wrong service may reply. Having said that, if your client is a domain
member, you shouldn't need Avahi because dns should be providing the
hosts info.
The problem was compounded by Microsoft advising that '.local' was
perfectly acceptable, they have now stopped doing this and actively
recommend you don't use it.

> 2) >This generally occurs if your client does not resolve to a FQDN
> before
> the join.
>
> Explain that more fully, please.

I can only speak from experience, but when the client dns is setup
correctly it works for myself. If 'hostname -d' doesn't return the dns
domain, then I get the error you did.

> The AD servers we're joining certainly don't know about this server.

Perhaps not, but they should be in the same dns domain.

> It's IP is static.

> But the (future) member server does know how to resolve the AD domain
> DNS entries, and it has a def in the hosts file for itself.
> So, what you mean by "your client does not resolve to a FQDN before
> the join" is not clear.

If that is the case, then I will have to think about this. With the
correct line in /etc/hosts and 'hostname -*' producing the correct
output, the join has always worked for myself.

Rowland