[Samba] Windows Search

npower npower at samba.org
Thu Feb 24 11:52:43 UTC 2022

Resending to list (and omitting sender as I have spammed him multiple
times) sorry, having troubles with corporate mail setup making sending
to the list impossible

On 23/02/2022 08:59, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've got an installation where users need to search inside a samba
> share from Windows machines.
> Ideally the content of files should be searchable too, but even a
> filename-only search would be a start.
>
> Unless something changed very recently, I think WSP is not supported
> in Samba (or at least not in a production-ready way).

yep, that is correct, not in anyway production ready :-). Unfortunately
for the last while I have been managing only to occasionally put in the
effort to keep up with master (and nothing more).

Unfortunately (for me... but great for samba code) recently there has
been a major reorganisation of dcerpc services. While this in theory
shouldn't make any difference (because WSP doesn't use rpc) the reality
is that I was piggybacking *lots* of the code that provided the dcerpc
services. I am however currently trying once again to get WSP working
again against master, if you are interested I could point you to the
branch when that is at least working.

> One would expect that, without a server-side index, client side
> searching would work slowly, but work. That's not the case, however:
> searching twice from a Windows 10 pro client will yield different
> results (both incomplete).
I think it entirely depends on what you are searching for and the scale
of the searches, e.g. windows explorer is very efficient searching a
share for files of a specific type (as it searches by extension) and is
surprisingly quick. I am not sure about different results over different
search runs (I never noticed) Where server side index searching really
comes into it's own is when it is searching content (where the meta data
has been mined and indexed already) e.g. searching for photographs with
a specific tag, resolution or using searching using full text search
capabilities

> So I need a workaround and I'm open to suggestions for either:
> _ a tool which does the search client side (but, in contrast to
> Windows's Explorer, works properly);
> _ some server side indexing system (Tracker? ElasticSearch? See
> later...) and some web frontend for users to access this index;
> _ any other idea.

Either tracker or elasticsearch can be used independently on a linux
server targeting the underlying filesystem exported by the samba share.
I don't however have any idea of what web ui(s) are available