[Samba] Member join, dns issues

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 23 17:04:28 UTC 2022

> On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 17:32 -0800, Greg Sloop <gregs--- via samba
> wrote:
>> Joining a member server "succeeds" but also gives this DNS error.
>> ---
>> # net ads join -U administrator
>> Password for [AD\administrator]:
>> Using short domain name -- AD
>> Joined 'ABC-1' to dns domain 'ad.xyz.local'
>
> I do hope that the '.local' is just sanitisation, or that you have
> turned off avahi.
>
>> DNS Update for abc-1.ad.xyz.local failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
>> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> This generally occurs if your client does not resolve to a FQDN before
> the join.

Reminder that I had exactly the same problem trying to join an Arch
Linux system to my domain, and the client definitely resolved to a FQDN
via /etc/hosts:

   192.168.1.84 erap-gnome.ea.linuxcs.com  erap-gnome

The work around is to create the DNS record using samba-tool on the DC:

    # samba-tool dns add samba-dc ea.linuxcs.com erap-gnome A
192.168.1.84 -U administrator

  # samba-tool dns add samba-dc 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 84 PTR
erap-gnome.ea.linuxcs.com -U administrator