[Samba] File atimes set to 2038

Jon Schneider samba at jschneider.net
Wed Feb 23 11:25:45 UTC 2022

On FreeBSD 11.2,13.0 and at least the standard Samba (4.13) port if one
right clicks in explorer (W 10 Pro) to create a "New Microsoft Excel
Worksheet" then views the file its atime the result is 2038.

root at hewlett:/tmp # stat -x New\ Microsoft\ Excel\ Worksheet.xlsx
   File: "New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xlsx"
   Size: 6194         FileType: Regular File
   Mode: (0664/-rw-rw-r--)         Uid: ( 1001/     jms)  Gid: (    0/
wheel)
Device: 0,148   Inode: 160675    Links: 1
Access: Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038 <-----------
Modify: Wed Feb 23 10:36:56 2022
Change: Wed Feb 23 10:36:56 2022
  Birth: Wed Feb 23 10:36:56 2022

Explorer shows this as simply 00:00:00. Opening files normally also sets
the atime at least sometimes.

I have not managed to make this happen with FreeNAS/TrueNAS or Linux
though different versions/patches of Samba are in play there.

What is going on here ? Searching has found a couple of similar issues
but concerning mtime. I thought mtime and atime were always maintained
at the server/filesystem level.

The reason I ask is that a customer has the same with Solidworks files
and Solidworks gives a completely bogug error message but it's this
atime issue. OSs are 64 bit ones. What is more one cannot create a
Microsoft Word/Publisher document with a future atime. So I'd guess it's
a bug common to Excel and Solidworks.

(To head of those no I don't have clock or timezone issues. We're
actually on GMT in every way here.)

Jon