[Samba] Member join, dns issues

Greg Sloop <gregs@sloop.net> gregs at sloop.net
Wed Feb 23 01:32:43 UTC 2022

Joining a member server "succeeds" but also gives this DNS error.
---
# net ads join -U administrator
Password for [AD\administrator]:
Using short domain name -- AD
Joined 'ABC-1' to dns domain 'ad.xyz.local'
DNS Update for abc-1.ad.xyz.local failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
---
(DNS works fine on the member server. All tests resolving DC names, and the
srv records complete fine.)

A search turns up this in the Wiki;
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Troubleshooting_Samba_Domain_Members#DNS_Update_failed:_ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED

Which suggests checking DDNS on the server.
And running: samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names
Returns a bunch of: TSIG error with server: tsig verify failure

Which further searches seem to indicate you can safely ignore.

So, I've got ahold of my tail now and I'm wildly confused! :)

Suggestions?