[Samba] Windows 10 long path woes

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 22 16:15:19 UTC 2022

I set up a Samba AD for some digital archivists. They have directory
hierarchies that look like this:

\\staging\archives_staging\02_Processing/AR2016-040_Extranet\AR2016-040_02_GC-02_Records_of_Interim_Bodies_of_General_Convention_2009-2012\objects\AR2016-040_02_GC-02_Records_of_Interim_Bodies_of_General_Convention_2009-2012\Governing
Bodies of General Convention Documents

The preceding is 274 characters long.  When I try to create a new
subdirectory here (using File Explorer) I get a message "The file names
would be too long for the destination folder" .  That's because
traditionally Windows file paths are limited to 255 characters.

Fortunately, one can create a Group Policy which enables long path support:

   GPO: Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates
-> System -> Filesystem
   Double click "Enable Win32 long paths"  and select "Enabled" radio
button.

So I created this and applied it to the Windows Workstations OU under
the main OU.

This appears to have worked?  If I go to the registry on a rebooted
Windows workstation I see:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

However, I still can't create a subfolder in the directory cited above
using Windows File Explorer, getting the same error message.

Snooping around the Internet it appears (inexplicably!) that Windows
File Explorer in Windows 10 doesn't support long paths?  Can anyone
confirm this?

If true, WTF; this is the main way Windows users interact with the
filesystem directly. What was Microsoft thinking? Also, workarounds? The
user working on this collection also has a linux workstation and is
modifying things over NFS, so not a crisis, but likely will become one.