[Samba] Bind9 and reverse-zones

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 18 10:30:11 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-02-18 at 11:11 +0100, Stefan Kania via samba wrote:
> 	Error verifying signature: parse error
> --------------ms090708040907020701060208
>

> Am 18.02.22 um 09:16 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> > As far i know, no reverse zone is created automaticly.. Not in
> > windows not in samba.
> > But the bug is about the restore of the zone, if its in the backup
> > is "should" be restored,
>
> That's right, neither Windows or Samba are creating the revers-zone
> automatically BUT if I backup AD AND having a revers-zone I think
> with a
> recovery the reverse-zone MUST work after the recovery.

How ? You have admitted that you have 30 to 40 reverse zones. Have you
checked in AD after a restore, I think you will find the reversezone(s)
are there, but probably with the wrong nameservers.

> Think when do you want need to recover your domain. I think in case
> you
> need to recover your domain yue have enough stress s oyou don't need
> the
> stress of a missing NS-record in all your revers-zones

Feel free to supply patches to fix this. I suppose that Samba, after a
restore, should create a NS record for the new DC in any and all
reversezones. I would do it, but Andrew doesn't seem to like my python
code.

Rowland