[Samba] Bind9 and reverse-zones

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:07:34 UTC 2022

So, I've been using the internal DNS server, and reverse-zone records
aren't created here, either. In fact, I've only been able to get `net
ads join` to create forward-zone records on Ubuntu.

As I reported a few days ago, no matter what I try I can't get it to
create forward-zone records for Arch linux systems.  I finally gave up,
joined the Arch client to the domain and just created the forward and
reverse-zone records by hand myself. Otherwise the Arch deployment is
simpler than Ubuntu; fewer packages to install with reasonable
dependencies, and of course on Arch you always get the most current
version of Samba automatically.

Very much doubt this observation is going to put Louis out of business. <:)