[Samba] Questions about migrating SAMBA4 AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 17 15:46:15 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-02-17 at 12:27 -0300, Sergio Belkin via samba wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd want to migrate a SAMBA4 AD DC on premises to an instance of
> Amazon
> Lightsail (listening only over private IP addresses). I have only one
> DC.
> The domain has less than 100 users.
> I use the backup script of Matthieu Pato. Could I use that backup to
> restore the Domain and DC to the LS instance?

The old bash script was only used on Samba versions before 4.9.0, which
means versions that are no longer supported by Samba. You really should
have upgraded Samba before now.

> On the samba wiki it says "Always Restore on a system with the same
> IP and
> Hostname. Otherwise you will run into Kerberos and DNS issues." (
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_the_samba_backup_script#About_the_samba_backup_script
> )
>
> Please could you recommend a way to migrate in this case?

No idea really, it may be possible to join the amazon product to your
existing domain (you may have to upgrade Samba first), then demote your
existing DC.
Perhaps amazon could help here, or perhaps someone has done what you
are proposing.

Rowland