[Samba] Great article on Samba symlink fixes at Linux Weekly News !

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Sun Feb 13 19:00:17 UTC 2022

I also don't quite understand the symlink vulnerability.

   open("/my/super/important/stuff")

The concern is that this creates a race condition where someone could

   cd /my/super
   ln -s /your/nefarious/location ./important

where /your/nefarious/location/ includes a stuff/ directory before the
read or write is executed? How would this be possible given that
/my/super/ already includes an important/ directory?  Am I completely
missing how this works?