[Samba] group and user of the same name

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sat Feb 12 13:03:41 UTC 2022

Hi!

On *nix, it is common to assign user its own group
of the same name. On linux with shadow-utils (the
standard tools to add/remove users), user-own group
is the default and one need to specify an option when
creating new user to turn that off.

But in windows world, users and groups seem to be in
the same namespace.

How to manage such "personal groups" in the windows/AD
world (when we're talking about *moving* local users
to AD instead of having them both in AD and locally)?
Should I give the "personal group" some prefix for
example, like g-mjt for the mjt group?

Thanks,

/mjt