[Samba] Custom dns_update_list file

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 11 23:47:11 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 17:50 +0100, Victor Rodriguez via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the need to set specific IPs in DNS to allow clients to
> correctly
> communicate with Samba. I archieve this editing
> samba/private/dns_update_list and replacing the A record for the
> domain.
> This works until some package update replaces it with the default
> one.
>
> Is there any way to properly set a custom dns_update_list that does
> not
> get overwritten?
>
> I can't use the interfaces directive in smb.conf as the same
> interface
> has more than one IP.

Do you just want to set a single IP?

If so, the 'dns update command' can be changed from the default to
specify an option: --current-ip

  --current-ip=CURRENT_IP
                        IP address to update DNS to match (helpful if
behind
                        NAT, valid multiple times, defaults to values
from
                        interfaces=)

I added that for exactly this purpose, after learning how cloud and container "public IP" networking works.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions