[Samba] simple permission scheme messed up with unwanted ACLs - how to fix?

Valentijn Sessink v.sessink at openoffice.nl
Fri Feb 11 13:29:44 UTC 2022

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your answer.

On 10-02-2022 23:35, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> This is an aside, but unless you're running a domain controller it's not
> clear why you're using Samba at all if you don't have any Windows
> machines. It's easier to use NFS for a linux/Mac environment.

Actually, that's how it used to be: the linux machines had their /home
mounted on the server with NFS4, with Kerberos authentication and all.
But NFS has its own problems - my guess is that it was too complicated
to get the Macs to connect to NFS, or that the user level security was a
problem, or the need to keep local userIDs in sync - I'm not sure, it's
a long time ago. I don't think we even tried to setup NFS4/Kerberos
authentication on any Mac. And as most OSs have password managers
built-in now, the great advantage of Kerberos for single sign-on (which
to end users just means "not having to remember any extra passwords")
has greatly diminished, IMHO.

>      ea support = no
> applies to attributes (not ACLs) and consequently won't help you,

Thanks. (It probably shows how confused I was ;-)

> Are you using extended ACLs on your file server?

They are there, but I'm not using any.

[...]

Thanks for your explanation - helped to see things in perspective and I
guess I'm fine with the current settings for now.

Regarding my problem:

> If that's insufficient, provide us with an example of what you're
> talking about in addition to the [global] section of your smb.conf file.
... A few hours after my post, I found yet another ACL option, namely
"fruit:nfs_aces". I set this to "no" and since then, no more ACLs have
been added to any files. So my guess is that vfs_fruit was the culprit:
"A global option whether support for querying and modifying the UNIX
mode of directory entries via NFS ACEs is enabled, default yes."

I still don't know why these apple computers were changing ACLs anyway.
But I guess that's a question for an Apple forum, not this list ;-)

Best regards,

Valentijn
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions